Sunday, July 31, 2011

Requirements

 6Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.
 7Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,
 8I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart. 

Requirements

Membership in any organization usually involves some sort of requirements. What requirements are placed upon us by God to maintain our "membership" in His courts?

One has to wonder if David was remembering an event in the life of King Saul, his predecessor when he penned Psalm 40. The prophet, Samuel, was chiding King Saul for his lack of obedience to God's commandments.

And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. (1 Samuel 15:22, King James Version)

David understood that while man looks upon the outward appearance, God looks upon the heart. Obedience to God is not a matter of memorizing all of the rules and regulations recorded in His Word, and then striving to keep those rules or laws perfectly. The key to obedience to God's Word is found in our hearts. David said, I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Our theme for these Psalms devotions is First Love; we continually see reminders, especially from the Psalms of David, to return to our first love. Think of those times in your Christian walk when God seemed so near that you were bathed in His arms of love; you could not help but respond with overwhelming love for Him.

What are God's requirements for faithful service to Him? We are to love the Lord our God with all of our hearts, with all of our soul, and with all of our might. (Deuteronomy 6:5)

As we go about the duties of this day, let us remember these words from Psalm 40. I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: