Friday, July 29, 2011

A New Song

 1I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
 2He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
 3And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD. 

 A New Song

In Psalm 39, we left the psalmist in a rather discouraging state. Now, in Psalms 40, we find the psalmist looking to the Lord for his strength and help. He had cried out to God for help, and the Lord delivered him.

He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

Often, when reading the Old Testament, especially during the times the Children of Israel were wandering in the wilderness, I find myself getting impatient with their repeated lack of trust in the Lord. However, just a quick glance at my own life helps me to understand, that as a Christian, we are not so very different than were the Children of Israel. It is easy to trust in the Lord when everything is going well, but it is hard for us to remember God's faithfulness when nothing is going right.

David has left us with many words of encouragement as he fought through the difficulties of his own life. In his thankfulness to God, he proclaimed,
And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

We can almost hear the music playing, can we not? God, in our day, continues to bless his children, and literally thousands of new songs have been written speaking of God's love and faithfulness to us.

Let us take some time today to choose one of our favorite songs, hymns, or spiritual songs, and meditate upon God's faithfulness to us. I have many favorites, but I will leave you with a very familiar song. Here are the words of the last verse of Amazing Grace.
When we've been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.
God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: