Thursday, July 21, 2011

Measure of My Days

 1I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.
 2I was dumb with silence, I held my peace, even from good; and my sorrow was stirred.
 3My heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned: then spake I with my tongue,
 4LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is: that I may know how frail I am. 

Measure of My Days
Have you ever tried to not talk? What happened? When David tried this, he tells us, My heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned. David was determined to keep himself from sinning with his words, so he determined he would not speak at all. Of course, we all know that is impossible.

Finally, in frustration, David said, LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is: that I may know how frail I am. This reminds me of the Song of Solomon, written by David's son. Determined to know the meaning of life, Solomon concluded that life was just empty and filled with vanity.

David's conclusion was similar: Surely every man walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them.

Of course, David and Solomon are not the only ones who have pondered the meaning of life; we all must, at some point, face these same deeper issues of life. Why are we here? Are we just here to get all we can get and enjoy as many pleasures of life as possible during our time on this earth?

Solomon actually tried that; he was in a position to heap great wealth upon himself. In the end, did his wealth satisfy him? No! 

I know, we would all like the opportunity to find out for ourselves. Surely, with just a little more money, life would be so much better, would it not? Yet, in our hearts, we know that Solomon was telling the truth. 

So, we ask with David, Lord, what is the measure of my days? It is a good question. From God's Word we learn that the measure of our days is not determined by anything in this world. When our life has been lived, and we stand in the courts of our King of Kings, what will matter? The answer to that question is what really gives us the measure of our days.

Joy, peace, and happiness! Is it possible to attain these in this life? Yes! However, unlike the world, we know that true joy, true peace, and true happiness are gifts from God given to His faithful children. Let us, by the grace of God, take up the mantle He has placed upon us and live this life to the glory of God. That, dear friend, determines the measure of our days!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: