Thursday, July 28, 2011

I Am a Stranger

 8Deliver me from all my transgressions: make me not the reproach of the foolish.
 9I was dumb, I opened not my mouth; because thou didst it.
 10Remove thy stroke away from me: I am consumed by the blow of thine hand.
 11When thou with rebukes dost correct man for iniquity, thou makest his beauty to consume away like a moth: surely every man is vanity. Selah.
 12Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were.
 13O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more. 

I Am a Stranger

Psalm 39 ends on a rather bleak note, and yet it powerfully brings home an important message for all believers. We live in this world, but we are no longer of this world. Where is the beauty we once saw in man? Where is the pride for the things that man has accomplished? Certainly, there is great pride in our day over the greatness of man.

Yet, is that truly the lesson we are to learn from this life? While the Psalmist chaffed under his heavy yoke, he rightly understood its origins. He plainly understood that he was the transgressor.

Is God being too severe? Does he not understand our weakness and our inability to serve Him perfectly? Though that may seem to be the case when we are in the middle of great difficulties, no, God is not being too severe. In His great love, He continually helps us to leave the things of this world and seek a much higher place with Him. In thinking of this the Psalmist states in verse 12,

Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were.
In our sinful state, we are all strangers to God, but through Christ's death, burial, and resurrection, we have been lifted from the depths of sin in this world, to a life of righteousness in Christ. We have been transformed; old things have passed away, and all things have become new. Why? Now Christ lives within us.

 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: (Colossians 1:27, King James Version)
When we think of this world, may we by the grace of God be reminded, "I am a stranger in this world. My citizenship is in heaven above with Christ, the hope of glory."

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: