Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hope in the Lord

 11My lovers and my friends stand aloof from my sore; and my kinsmen stand afar off.
 12They also that seek after my life lay snares for me: and they that seek my hurt speak mischievous things, and imagine deceits all the day long.
 13But I, as a deaf man, heard not; and I was as a dumb man that openeth not his mouth.
 14Thus I was as a man that heareth not, and in whose mouth are no reproofs.
 15For in thee, O LORD, do I hope: thou wilt hear, O Lord my God.
 16For I said, Hear me, lest otherwise they should rejoice over me: when my foot slippeth, they magnify themselves against me. 

 Hope in the Lord

 Could things be any worse? The Psalmist was brought so low that his friends and relatives would not even come close to him, afraid that the devastating things happening to him might come upon them as well. Those that hated him and determined to kill him continued to lay snares to catch him, while speaking evil about him, deceitfully tarnishing his good name.

How did David, the Psalmist, respond?

But I, as a deaf man, heard not; and I was as a dumb man that openeth not his mouth. Thus I was as a man that heareth not, and in whose mouth are no reproofs.

Why? Why did he not even try to come to his own defense? The answer was very simple: his only defense was to remain quiet and hope in the Lord! Though nothing gave evidence for hope, David understood that no matter how bleak his circumstances, the Lord God would hear his prayer and deliver him from evil.

Do we have the same confidence today? When all the evils of this world seem to pile themselves upon us, are we able to shake them off, remain silent, and hope in the Lord? We certainly do not have any power or strength of our own, do we? 

Do you think that perhaps one of the reasons God allows bad things to happen to his people is so that they will learn that they cannot depend upon themselves or their friends and family? Friends and family are precious, but they can never replace the Lord. When all is said and done, we are driven to fall at the feet of Jesus; only there will we find perfect peace and perfect rest.

It is a  hard lesson to learn; in truth, we probably never completely succeed in this life. But, oh how precious are those times when God grants to us His perfect peace and joy and gives us hope in the Lord!

May you, too, find the precious gift of joy and peace granted to us by the Lord Jesus Christ!

God Bless You,
Linda




No comments: