Friday, June 03, 2011

The Lord is Near!

15The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry.
 16The face of the LORD is against them that do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.
 17The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.
 18The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
Psalm 34:15-18, KJV

The Lord is Near!

There is no greater comfort for the Christian than to know that the Lord is near; there is no place on this earth beneath or even in the heavens above where we are out of God's realm. His eyes are upon the righteous, His ears are open to their cries, and His face is against those who do evil.

Why, then, do we spend so much time in fear? For two nights I have been having trouble sleeping; I wake up in the middle of the night and begin to worry. I know how futile my actions are, and I know that I am exhibiting a lack of trust in God, big time! How God must weary of my constantly going before Him confessing my sin of worrying over things that are completely in His control. I know I weary myself!

Yet, never is there a time when God does not hear and answer my prayers. Each time, God fills my heart with His wonderful peace. That is exactly the point that David is making in Psalm 34.

When the righteous cry out to God, He hears them and delivers them from all of their troubles. It sounds like a fairy tale--almost too good to be true. Is there a catch? Yes, actually, there is. The Bible tells us:

The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

God requires a broken, humble heart, and a contrite spirit. Being the foolish creatures that we are, we need to be reminded again and again that all of our successes are due to God's faithfulness on our behalf. There is not one thing in us that would cause us to be worthy of the love and affection that God has lavished upon us. There is not one thing in us that makes us worthy of Christ's dying to pay the debt of our sins. Yet He did!

That, dear Christian, is the Gospel. That knowledge is what gives us the ability to get up day after day and live this life to the honor and glory of God. He saves us and keeps us. Truly, the Lord is near, every minute of every day.

What an amazing God we have. He was near to David, and he is near to us.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: