Wednesday, June 08, 2011

A Humbled Soul

11False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not.
 12They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul.
 13But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.
 14I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourneth for his mother.
Psalm 35:11-14, KJV

A Humbled Soul

Liars! We have all faced times when liars have spread false rumors about us. Why is it that, no matter who we are and how we live, there are always people who will lie about us behind our backs, and there are always people who are ready and willing to believe those lies? In our very natures, we seem to relish making ourselves look good by putting someone else down.

In the middle of David's darkest hours, the rumors were spreading like wildfire! This man who had been a confident of King Saul has now seemingly turned out to be a traitor--or so the tale was spread. Did David retaliate? Is that not our first thought? First, we move quickly to defend ourselves, and secondly, we list the ways we can get even with the person who has done such terrible things to us.

How did David respond?

But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.

When David's enemies were down, he did not use the occasion to trample them under his feet, but rather, he was prostrate before God, in sackcloth and ashes. He humbled his soul with fasting, and God responded by hearing his prayers. 

Not only was David humbled, but he behaved toward them as though they were his friends or brothers, and not as though they were his enemies. In a lifetime of service for Christ, the hardest attribute or characteristic to develop is true humility.

David responded with a humbled soul. Let us pray that as we walk through the journey of life, God will help us to live as David did--even more, to live as Christ did--with a humbled soul, remembering that any goodness we display in this life is due to the greater goodness of the Lord Jesus Christ on our behalf. We are nothing apart from Him!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: