Friday, May 13, 2011

Prosperity

 6And in my prosperity I said, I shall never be moved.
 7LORD, by thy favour thou hast made my mountain to stand strong: thou didst hide thy face, and I was troubled.
 8I cried to thee, O LORD; and unto the LORD I made supplication.
 9What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust praise thee? shall it declare thy truth?
 10Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me: LORD, be thou my helper.
 11Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;
 12To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever. 
(Psalm 30:6-12, King James Version)

Prosperity

Prosperity! The world has a beautiful ring to it, does it not? Nothing can make us feel more invincible, especially if we achieved that prosperity ourselves through our own diligent efforts. As a Christian, however, what happens to our confidence in our own prosperity when it seems as though God hides His face from us?

That is exactly what the psalmist is picturing for us in Psalm 30. He stands before God, and asks, what profit is there if I fall now? Who will praise you--the dust? Why, then, have you turned the joy of my prosperity into mourning?

That is just the way life seems, does it not? We cry out to God in our righteous indignation and call Him into account for what He has done to us! You have to see the humor in the situation. We are puffed up in our own arrogance when we consider the great things we have done with our life, but when adversity comes, whose fault is it? God's!

Does God not want us to be happy? Oh, but God wants so much more for us! True peace, joy, and happiness does not come by looking at the great things we have accomplished in this life. True peace, joy, and happiness comes when we look to God. God does not want us to settle for second best, as there is so much more to be found in Him!

The psalmist came to the same conclusion in verse 12.

To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.

In the end, David, the psalmist, was no longer singing his own praises, but rather, basked in the joy and praise of the Lord. In the Lord, he found the true Source of joy and happiness, not only just in this life, but for all eternity!

This day, let us sing praises to the Lord. He saves us, He keeps us, and He brings us safely into His arms where we live in true joy and peace for all eternity.

Amen! So shall it be!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: