Monday, May 16, 2011

Lying Vanities

 6I have hated them that regard lying vanities: but I trust in the LORD.
 7I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities;
 8And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy: thou hast set my feet in a large room. 

Lying Vanities

What does the psalmist mean by the phrase, "lying vanities"? The New King James Version translates Psalm 31:6 in this way: I have hated those who regard useless idols; but I trust in the LORD. We see two contrasts. First we see those who trust in the things of this world, which really are lying vanities or useless idols, and second we see those who trust in the Lord.

Is there no middle ground? Cannot one trust in both the world and the Lord? As Christians, we certainly do try, do we not? It is so very hard for us to let go of the things of the world which we can see, to trust in the Lord, whom we cannot see.

What made the difference for the writer? How did he come to the conclusions he did? He said, thou hast considered my trouble thou hast known my soul in adversities; and hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy.

The very things which made the difference in the psalmist's life were the troubles and adversities which came into his life. Is that not the way it really is? Life seems to rumble on at its own hectic pace until we stumble into the paths of adversity; it is amazing how quickly our perspective on life changes. When facing the jaws of death, it really does not matter what color of a car we drive, does it? It no longer matters if we are loved or hated, rich or poor, or popular or not. 

God allows adversity to come into our lives, because He loves us! He knows how important it is, in our Christian walk, to keep all of life in perspective, and to understand that when everything falls apart, God keeps our feet on a wide path, or in a large room! We are not going to fall off the precipice of life, because God is always there guiding our feet.

Let us pray that, as Christians, our lives will not be consumed by lying vanities, but rather, will be solidly built upon God, our Rock, who will never leave us nor forsake us. 

When all is said and done, may our trust be in the Lord.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: