Wednesday, May 04, 2011

The Lord is My Strength

 6Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications.
 7The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
 8The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed.
 9Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up for ever. 

The Lord is My Strength

Psalm 28 carries a theme and pattern often found in the Psalms of David. The Psalmist expresses discouragement and fear, then looks to God and finds hope and strength. Sometimes it seems as though one Psalm is in many ways a carbon copy of another Psalm. Why is that?

One only has to stop for a moment and think through one's own life to find the answer. How often have we rejoiced in the Lord during a time of great blessing, only to find ourselves back in the fields of despair when life seems to unravel again? As we ponder this pattern that is all too prevalent in our own lives, we begin to understand David more and more. And, we begin to understand how a Christian can be surrounded by hopelessness and yet, find themselves filled with peace and joy.

The truth that each child of God has learned is: the Lord is my strength! Oh, we enter the decade of our twenties with high hopes for the great things we will accomplish with our lives, but by our thirties we begin to realize that we do not accomplish anything by ourselves. We see God working through the events of our lives in ways we could never have imagined. We also learn that we can hardly control ourselves, much less the events of life which surround us each day.

Realizing the secret of his own success, David declared, The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him. 

Was this a secret unique to him alone? No! God arms all of His children with His strength; it is to Him that all of God's people look in both the good times and in the bad.

The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed. Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up for ever.

That prayer, offered by David, includes us today! How amazing is that?

Go today, and with David proclaim, "The Lord is my strength . . . my heart trusted in him, and I am helped!"

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: