Sunday, May 15, 2011

In Thee

 1In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness.
 2Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me.
 3For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me.
 4Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me: for thou art my strength.
 5Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth. 

In Thee

Where do we go in desperate times? We are told that, when a person is in a life or death situation, seconds matter; in other words, calling the right person may make the difference between life and death. The psalmist unabashedly exclaims, In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust. There was no doubt in the writer's mind that the One to turn to for help was the Lord.

As Christians, how confident are we in God's help to save us? Do we truly understand that our life is in the hands of God. We are so confident in what the world has to offer, especially in times of emergency that we often only think of going to the Lord after we have exhausted all other avenues of help. As a matter of fact, we often treat prayer as the least help we can offer to others, overlooking it for more visible forms of help.

Do we wonder why God allows Christians to go through deep valleys of suffering or despair? Perhaps He is helping us to understand that He is our help, our fortress, and our rock; unfortunately, we often have to exhaust all other avenues of help before we come to that realization. 

The writer of Psalm 31 had certainly reached this point; there was no doubt in his mind when he declared, Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me: for thou art my strength. Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth.

He was ready to commit himself to the Lord, even unto the point of death. Are we? Doing so, requires us to reach beyond the confines of this world and see the bigger picture. This world is such an insignificant speck in the perspective of eternity. 

Where is our help? Who is our rock? Can we declare, with the psalmist, In Thee do I put my trust?

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: