Friday, April 29, 2011

Thy Face

 6And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.
 7Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
 8When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.
 9Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
 10When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up. 

Thy Face

Reading verse 8 of Psalm 27 made me think of a small child. Whose face is the most glorious face to behold in their small eyes? It is their mother's face. No one in all of the world is more beautiful to an infant than their mother. Why is that? From their perspective, their mother provides all of their needs: food, care, and love. As they grow older, other people become part of their lives as well, but it will be years before anyone can begin to surpass the importance of their mother.

Do you think that David had these things in mind when he said, When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek? As we continue on in Psalm 27, he seems to allude to that very thing. What is his greatest fear? Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.

What kind of relationship do we personally have with the Lord? Do we, like David, fear the times when God would seemingly hide his face from us? Or, are we so busy living our daily lives that we have no time to even think or care about where God is in relationship to ourselves?

I think that is a real danger in the world in which we live today. Life is so busy--so full of opportunities, that one hardly has time to think beyond the basics of making it from day to day in one piece.

It would be a good thing for us, as Christians, to meditate upon Psalm 27, asking ourselves whether we have the same longing, as did David, to be kept in the presence of God. When everything seems to fall apart, where do we look for answers? Do we have the same confidence, as did David, when he said, When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.

Let us, by the grace of God, join David in saying, Thy face, Lord, will I seek!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: