Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Light and Salvation

 1The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
 2When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.
 3Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident. 

Light and Salvation

Who is your light and salvation? To whom do you go when everything is dark and discouraging--when there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel?

We seem to do pretty well in this life when everything runs along smoothly from day to day, but what happens when everything seems to go wrong? As king, David faced many of these days, but from the days of his youth, he learned the importance of trusting in God, his light and salvation. He recounts the time or times when the wicked, who came upon him to eat up his flesh, just stumbled and fell. Through experiences such as this, his confidence in the Lord became so sure that he did not even fear tidings of war.

As Christians, we all have the same access to God as did David, and we have just as much right to lay claim to God's help in times of need. In reading the Psalms, we discover that one of Davids "secrets of success" was found in his daily meditation upon the Lord.

 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
         And in His law he meditates day and night. 

Could it be that we lack David's assurance and confidence in the Lord because we do not spend time each day meditating upon God's Word? We often use the excuse of being too busy to spend time with the Lord every single day, but the truth is, we do not have enough time not to spend time with the Lord each day!

Just as a soldier would not think of going into battle without his armor, so must we understand that, as a Christian, we need to fortify ourselves against the wiles of the devil every single day. We are in a war--a war that was set in motion before this world was created. Every person in this world is on one side or the other!

Let us, then, lay claim to the Lord, our Light and Salvation, who is already the proclaimed Victor of that war!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: