Monday, April 25, 2011

Judge, Examine, and Prove

 1Judge me, O LORD; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the LORD; therefore I shall not slide.
 2Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.
 3For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes: and I have walked in thy truth.
 4I have not sat with vain persons, neither will I go in with dissemblers.
 5I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked. 

Judge, Examine, and Prove

When I read passages such as this, I always seem to get a little uncomfortable. I know myself too well. Would I really be able to stand the scrutiny that David calls for in Psalm 26? He brazenly stands before God and says judge, examine, and prove me.

It would seem, from reading Psalms 26 that David must not have been very politically correct, and he certainly could not have fit in with the world very well.

I have not sat with vain persons, neither will I go in with dissemblers.
I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked.

He was the king. Did he close himself in a closet and ignore the world around him? 

Actually, the exact opposite is true. David, of necessity, lived among the people of the world, but from the days of his youth, he made a decision that profoundly affected him the rest of his life. You see, it is one thing to live among the people of this world, but it is quite another to join in their vanity and their evil deeds. 

How would we score if God were to rate us today? Would He find our hearts to be wholly trusting in Him? Would He agree that we have walked in the way of truth?

As Christians living in the 21st century, I fear we have sadly neglected God's call to remember our First Love. We have forgotten that, though we live in the world, we are not really of the world. God calls us to step out of the driving passions of this world and live our lives totally committed to Him.

If David, the king, could call God to judge, examine, and prove him without fearing the results, then we must say that nothing in this world should hinder us from the same heart attitude toward God. 

Let us, by the grace of God, leave the vanity of this world and set our faces toward our only, true, and living king, God Almighty, remembering that He has saved us for a purpose. Only when we are actively pursuing that purpose will we, like David, be able to say, without fear,  "Judge, examine, and prove me, oh God!"

God Bless You,
Linda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Verу nice post. I simply stumbled upon уour weblog
and wіshеd tο mention that Ι hаvе reаlly loved surfing around your blog ρosts.
In аnу case I'll be subscribing in your rss feed and I hope you write once more soon!
my site > more information