Monday, April 11, 2011

God's Word

 12Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.
 13They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.
 14I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
 15My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
 16For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
 17I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.
 18They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
 19But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me.
 20Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.
 21Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns. 


God's Word

Psalm 22 is known as one of the Messianic Psalms, as it clearly depicts the suffering of Christ upon the cross. As I was reading through this Psalm, I was struck with realization, that David, when he penned these words, did not know that he was actually describing what Christ would experience upon the cross. I marveled that words written hundreds of years before could so accurately describe Christ's crucifixion--even some of the very words Christ would speak.

This, dear Christian, illustrates the God we serve, and the truth of not only what has come to pass, but also what will come to pass as predicted in God's Word. In this case, God so moved in the heart of David that as David spoke of his own sufferings, his words were mouthing the very words that God knew Christ would speak.

We see this happening again and again in the Old Testament Scriptures. God used many of the prophets to address the nations of that time with words that had double applications, first to the people of that day, and second to future times. Now, in our days, we marvel again as we see so many of the predictions given by Old Testament prophets coming to fruition right before our eyes.

God's Word is a living Word! We must be careful that we do not treat it as an historical document out of touch with our modern day times. World history, of which we are a part, continues to unfold exactly as God revealed it to us in his Word.

That begs the question, how important is God's Word to us? How much of an effect does it have on our daily lives? Perhaps it would be better to ask, how should it affect our daily lives?

Unfortunately, many professing Christians barely even take the time to read God's Word, much less to seek to apply it to their daily lives. We have been duped by the world into a sense of complacency before God, while busily scrambling to keep up with the things the world deems should matter.

God's Word is our Word! This is the message God has given to us to guide us in our daily lives and to determine the course we must take as we travel through this life. Because His Word is a living Word, what is important in the eyes of God as revealed in this Word, must be important to us as well.

Let us pray, that by the grace of God, we would shake off the complacency that keeps us too busy to serve the Lord. May we renew our vows to read and study God's Word and to seek to apply it to our thoughts, our words, and our actions.

May Jesus Christ be praised!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: