Friday, April 15, 2011

The 23rd Psalm

 1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
 2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
 3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
 4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
 5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. 

The 23rd Psalm

A more beautiful picture of the relationship of Christ to us, his sheep, has not been painted. How much better would life be if we just stopped to recite and meditate upon this beautiful Psalm every morning?

Not many of us have had the opportunity to work with sheep, and therefore may not understand the full import of the 23rd Psalm. Sheep are some of the most defenseless animals on the face of the earth, and unfortunately, tend to be rather willful. Those two characteristics create a very dangerous scenario for the their safety. 

David was a shepherd, and makes no apologies for equating us with those same willful, self-destructive animals. The Lord Jesus, with his rod and staff at hand, guides and comforts us, continually pulling us out of dangerous situations. Though we would tear ourselves from his grasp, and rush headlong down a dangerous slope, he gently prods and guides us into paths of righteousness.

We do not have a God who created us and then left us to our own devices. His salvation does not just guarantee us a place in heaven for eternity, but guarantees his constant watch care over us every single day of our lives. It may seem, at times, that God is far removed from us, but the truth is, our Shepherd has never left our side.

My cup runneth over! Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

That is the heart-cry of every true believer!

Amen! So come quickly, Lord Jesus!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: