Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Light My Candle

 28For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness.
 29For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall.
 30As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him. 

Light My Candle

I spent many years seeking to find happiness in others, until I realized how foolish I was being. Others could not make me happy! Though I found great joy in their presence, I was placing too great of an expectation upon them. Then, I discovered the truth expressed by the psalmist in Psalm 18: God will light my candle.

Where do we seek joy, peace, and contentment? We certainly will not find them in others, and we certainly will not find them in ourselves. God, the Author and Finisher of our faith, provides us with joy and peace that will never pass away.

How many books have been written about man's struggle to find purpose in this life? Solomon, as expressed in the book of Ecclesiastes, spent years searching for the meaning of life. He amassed great wealth, providing himself with all of the ways known to man to bring happiness and purpose into his life. In the end, he concluded: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. (Ecclesiastes 12:13, KJV)

I love these verses penned by David; when he wrote, For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness, he could hardly contain himself. As He pondered the depth and height of God's great love and mercy, he proclaimed, For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall.

It has been a long time since I have felt like leaping over a wall, and yet, caught up in David's excitement, I almost believe I could!

Where do we find joy, peace, and happiness in this life? God!

Where do we find purpose for our lives? God!

Where do we gain the strength to live this life? God!

 30 As for God, His way is perfect;
         The word of the LORD is proven; 
         He is a shield to all who trust in Him

This is the God we serve! By the grace of God, may we proclaim with David, "He will light my candle!"

Go today, and by the grace of God, leap over a wall!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: