Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Shadow of Thy Wings

 6I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech.
 7Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.
 8Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings,
 9From the wicked that oppress me, from my deadly enemies, who compass me about. 

Shadow of Thy Wings

The Psalmist understood the overwhelming love of God, and portrayed his great confidence that God inclined His ear to him and heard his speech. Why? The Psalmist understood that God showed his kindness by His right hand in saving those who trusted in Him. 

Who sits at the right hand of God the Father today? Our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ sits at the right hand of God making intercession for us. We who could not approach such a holy God, now have access to Him through the Lord Jesus Christ who shed His own blood to purchase our salvation. What is the cost for us? There is no cost; just our simple trust is required, and even that is a gift from God!

David's trust in God is beautifully illustrated in verse 8 of Psalm 17:

Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings.

David was surrounded by deadly enemies seeking his life. What about us? Are we surrounded by deadly enemies as well? This question does not seem to be unreasonable as we view the increasing tensions in our world today. As we watch the growing unrest in the Mideast, and hear of the death of four Americans who were distributing Bibles throughout the world, we see the increasing boldness of the enemies of God.

Let us not forget the real enemy who stalks about this world determined to destroy the people of God. Like David, may we cry to God, "Hide me under the shadow of thy wings." Truly, there is no safer place to be in all of the universe!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: