Saturday, February 26, 2011

Rock, Fortress, and Deliverer

 1I will love thee, O LORD, my strength.
 2The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
 3I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. 

Rock, Fortress, and Deliverer

I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

We know much of the life of David as recorded in the Old Testament. His was not an easy life. From the time of his youth when he was hunted by Saul as a common criminal, to the years at the end of his life which saw the rebellions of his own sons who sought to tear the kingdom from him, his was a life one of constant contention and grief. He certainly was not a perfect man, and suffered severely for his open sins.

Yet, we do see one common thread throughout the life of David which is wonderfully illustrated in Psalm 18; David was a man after God's own heart; he never forgot his first love! Rather than cry out in bitterness over the unjust treatment of King Saul, David turned all of his love and trust to the Lord, his Rock, Fortress, and Deliverer. David knew better than to trust in himself, the men of this earth, or the things of the world. It was only God he trusted as his buckler (shield), the horn of his salvation, and his high tower.

What a great lesson for us today! What excuses can we bring for our lack of trust in the Lord? What excuses can we use to condone our love of the things of this world? For any excuse we may bring, David could have brought more, and yet what did he say in Psalm 18, verse 3?

I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.

As we observe the troubling times engulfing our world today, where should we turn? Are we to turn to our own devices, or to those of our world leaders? Do the world leaders of today really control the peace of this world? Is it really in their hands?

Of course not! Then, let us rise up as Christians, and arm ourselves, like David, with the Word of the Lord. Let us proclaim God, alone, to be our Rock, Fortress, and Deliverer; may He be our strength--the One in whom we trust, our buckler, our horn of salvation, and our high tower.

Let us call unto the Lord, who, alone, is worthy to be praised!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: