Friday, February 11, 2011

My Goodness is Nothing

 1Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
 2O my soul, thou hast said unto the LORD, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee;
 3But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight. 

 My Goodness is Nothing

Verses 1-3 of Psalm 16 are a little easier to understand in the New King James Version.

 1 Preserve me, O God, for in You I put my trust. 
 2 O my soul, you have said to the LORD,
         “You are my Lord, 
         My goodness is nothing apart from You.”
 3 As for the saints who are on the earth,
         “They are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.” 
(Psalm 16:1-3, New King James Version)

I believe that one of the greatest "secrets" of living the Christian life is found in Psalm 16, Verses 1 & 2. First, the only One who deserves our complete trust is God, our Father. Secondly, when we truly look to God, we understand that any goodness we may have is worth nothing apart from God.

In other words, do you see good things that you have done in your life? Were those really your good deeds? You see, it is impossible for us to truly do good deeds apart from God. If good deeds have been done by us, they are all of God, and none of us.

It sounds so simple, does it not? But, oh how hard it is to really convince ourselves of its truth. We waste so many years working to improve our image, increase our wealth, improve our standing within our own community, and seeking to make others really like us. Why? Every Christian seriously needs to answer that question.

Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and Son of Man, could have been and done anything. No one who ever lived has had his mental acuity or true spiritual standing, and yet what characterized His life while here on earth. He continually pointed people to God the Father, refusing to allow them to worship Him. He said to one man, "Why do you call me good? There is only One who is good, and that is God, the Father."

Christians have a mission! No matter where you live, no matter if you are rich or poor, have great intelligence, or lack intelligence, as a Christian, you have a mission. That mission is not to be focused upon yourself! We are here to bring the news of the Gospel to the uttermost parts of the earth; we are here to focus all of our being upon God, and not upon ourselves.

I just wonder what would happen worldwide if Christians really took their true mission seriously!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: