Friday, February 04, 2011

How Long?

 1How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
 2How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?
 3Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;
 4Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
 5But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.
 6I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me. 

How Long?

How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever?

I have not been hunted by my enemy with armies whose sole purpose is my demise as David experienced, but I have had many an occasion when I poured out my soul to the Lord and said, "How long?" 

We are outnumbered on all sides as the world laughs in the face of God, and if it is not here already, the day will come when Christians will be hunted by the armies of the world. Perhaps you live in a country where that is already true. 

You see, it is an impossible task to live the Christian life without the arrows of Satan aimed at our defeat. That is exactly what David was experiencing. Where was God? How long would God withhold His help? 

We read of the great faith of the servants of God, and yet when we are in the trenches, that faith can seem so far away. Doubts may come, and we ask, "How do I know that God is really there? The enemy is prevailing and making a mockery of my faith."

That was exactly how David felt; the amazing thing to me is the last two verses of Psalm 13.

But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.
I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.

Did God come and rescue David, and then he penned verses 5 and 6? No! Help had not yet arrived, and God had not spoken to David, but God restored David's faith. That is the mark of true faith! Before the help came, while still deeply entrenched in his troubles, David remembered his God.

This is the same God we serve today. His overwhelming love encompasses His children; He knows His sheep by name. We do not have to see the victory before us; we know that God is God, and man is not. 

Let us conclude, with David, I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me. This is the God we serve; no man can stand before Him, because, you see, we know the rest of the story.

Oh that will be, glory for me,
Glory for me, glory for me,
When by His grace I shall look on His face,
That will be glory, glory for me!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: