Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Hold Me Up!

 3Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night; thou hast tried me, and shalt find nothing; I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.
 4Concerning the works of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer.
 5Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. 

Hold Me Up!

Does God know His children? When they cry to Him, "Hold me up!," does He hear? Psalm 17:3, in the New King James Version says, 

   You have tested my heart;
         You have visited me in the night; 
         You have tried me and have found nothing; 
         I have purposed that my mouth shall not transgress

Yes, God knows the hearts of His children and He always gives ear to their cry. In the times that God seems so far away, let us be encouraged to know that He does hear; He does listen. 

As the Psalmist continues, he acknowledges two things, first, that in his heart of hearts he has purposed to keep away from the paths of the destroyer, and second, he cannot succeed in his own strength.

What is the significance of this portion of Psalm 17 to us? The Psalmist makes it very clear that, as Christians, we must actively purpose to be faithful to the Lord and not to fall into the temptations of the world that are so alluring. Yet, when all is said and done, our success is anchored in Christ, and not ourselves.

How do we succeed? 

Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not.

Sometimes the most simple truths are also the most profound. Let us, by the grace of God, purpose to live faithfully, from our heart of hearts, for Christ, while at the same time crying, "Hold me Up!" 

God is our strength, our help, and our victory. What an amazing God we have!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: