Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Grief

 1O LORD, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.
 2Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed.
 3My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long?
 4Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake.
 5For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?
 6I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears.
 7Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies.
 8Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping. 

Grief

This Psalm is a perfect example of the reason we so love the Psalms. David poured out his heart to God in the middle of a time of great grief. Most of us have not literally faced a situation where the king of the land has sent armies after us purposing to take our life, yet, the grief we face in our lifetimes is not any less real or important to us.

Because we are so familiar with David, we sometimes slide over Psalms such as this without realizing the great grief and agony that David experienced. After all, we know the rest of the story, but David did not!

We understand the physical ramifications of grief and stress; we see it expressed by David in verse 2.

For I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed.

But even more than the physical difficulties he experienced, he exclaims:

My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long?

Have we not said the same things to God? We even say, with David, O LORD, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.

However, David was a man after God's own heart. Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping.

Do we have the faith to come to the same conclusion? Remember, this is not a comment David made later when everything turned out well; this is a comment he made while in the middle of this time of grief.

The Lord hears our voice when we cry to him. May we live our lives in the same manner, in faith, believing that, though we may not see it now, God hears and is answering our prayers to him?

Thine is all the glory; in Emmanuel's land.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: