Thursday, January 13, 2011

All of God

 8The LORD shall judge the people: judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me.
 9Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins.
 10My defence is of God, which saveth the upright in heart. 


All of God

I received an interesting email today from a reader who posed this question.

Does God punish us for our sins even after we ask for forgiveness, and how long will he keep punishing me for it, although I pray and ask for forgiveness?

Let us look at David; David was a man after God's own heart and yet he also committed some serious sins (adultery and murder). How, then, does he dare to call himself righteous?

Judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me.

Psalm 7:9 gives us a key to the answer. Here it is as translated in the New King James Version of the Bible.

Oh, let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end,
         But establish the just;
         For the righteous God tests the hearts and minds.

Ours is a religion of the heart and mind. As David was a man after God's own heart, we, too, must seek to remember our first love. How do we do that? How can we live day after day without sin? We cannot. Where, then, is our defense?

My defence is of God, which saveth the upright in heart. 

We must always remember that our salvation is all of God, and none of us! It is God who saves us, and it is God who keeps us.

Now let us get back to my reader's question.

Does God punish us for our sins even after we ask for forgiveness, and how long will he keep punishing me for it, although I pray and ask for forgiveness?

While on this earth we will always be plagued by our own sins. Does God just ignore our sins? If God is leading us, why does he not keep us from committing sins? We are not robots, are we? God uses our sins to grow us closer to Him. When you think of that, it is really quite amazing.

God punishes the wicked, but He uses the sins of His people to reform them that they may become more and more like Him. We know that God is ready to forgive; so as this reader has asked forgiveness we know that God has answered that prayer.

However, our sins often have results which will affect us for the rest of our lives. David sinned with Bathsheba and in having Uriah, her husband, killed in battle. God forgave David of that sin, however David suffered trouble in his own family for the rest of his days, as a result of that sin.

What do we do when we have committed a great sin? Go to Christ; plead for His forgiveness. But, remember that though we are forgiven, we may still suffer the consequences of that sin. However, Christ is with us wherever we go; He continues to comfort and guide us and use that sin for His own glory.

I do not understand that, but I know it is true. What an amazing God we have!

Truly our righteousness before God is all of God, and none of us!

God Bless You,
Linda

2 comments:

Tyler said...

Amen. I really enjoyed the devotion and then even more so when I read what you said about Christ still being with us wherever we go. That is a powerful image and on that comforts me.
I know in this crazy world where I feel persecuted from every side that God does not abandon me. "For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
Thank you for the work you do.

Linda Croft said...

Thanks, Tyler, for your comments. How amazing that we can walk in the comfortable presence of God hour by hour, and day by day.
God Bless You,
Linda