Thursday, December 09, 2010

Hearken!

 1Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation.
 2Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray. 

 Hearken!

 Where do we go for help? When the roof is leaking, the cows are out of the pasture, and the barn has been destroyed by a windstorm, who will help us? 

We may have some friends and neighbors who will help put new shingles on the roof and rebuild the fences and the barn. We may even qualify for a government loan for the  expenses, but do we first go to the Lord? 

We may pray later, but usually that is after we have lined up the people and money for the repairs. After all, God is not going to dig holes for the fence posts, or climb the ladder to make repairs to the house or rebuild the barn. 

David understood the correct order when He implored God to give ear to his words. He even emboldened his requests with the word, "hearken." He is saying, "Listen, God; I need you. Consider what I am saying and listen to my helpless cry.

How often do we think of prayer as a last resort? "I cannot do anything to help you, but at least I can pray." We should say, "I will pray for you, and then see if there are other ways I may help." Prayer is what we need first and foremost.

Not only do we need prayer, but as children of God, we can go to God boldly and say, "Hearken!" We have the right to expect God to not only hear, but also come to our aid.

I must admit, that it is easy to take that right for granted, but we must consider where we would be without that help! We must also consider the hopelessness of the lost and pray that God would open their eyes to the truth.

What an awesome God we have!

God Bless You,

Linda

No comments: