Thursday, December 10, 2009

Show Me Your Glory

17 So the LORD said to Moses, “I will also do this thing that you have spoken; for you have found grace in My sight, and I know you by name.”
18 And he said, “Please, show me Your glory.”
19 Then He said, “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.” 20 But He said, “You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live.” 21 And the LORD said, “Here is a place by Me, and you shall stand on the rock. 22 So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. 23 Then I will take away My hand, and you shall see My back; but My face shall not be seen.”
(Exodus 33:17-23, New King James Version)

Show Me Your Glory

I always marvel every time I read this Bible passage from Exodus 33. No other Bible patriarch had the same relationship with God as did Moses, but when he asked to see God's glory, even He could not see the face of God and live.

Then He said, “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.” But He said, “You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live.”

God told Moses to stand in the cleft of the rock, and when His glory passed by Moses, God would put His hand over Moses' face, so that Moses would only be able to see God's back.

We do not often stop to think of the effects of sin upon us. Though we are purified by the blood of Christ, our sinful bodies still cannot see the face of God and live. We are so tangled in the cares and concerns of this life that we cannot even imagine the glory that awaits us.

It is so difficult for us to see loved ones pass away, but if they were Christians, do we really want them to have to come back? They now rest in the glory of God! Selfishly, we may want them back, but we are comforted knowing the glory which surrounds them now--a glory which we will one day also enter into.

I am reminded of the chorus of a song.

Oh that will be, glory for me,
Glory for me, glory for me.
When by His grace I shall look on His face,
That will be glory, be glory for me.

Amen. So let it be.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: