Thursday, December 17, 2009

Glory of the Lord


1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lifted up, and the train of His robe filled the temple. 2 Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. 3 And one cried to another and said:

“ Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts;
The whole earth is full of His glory!”

4 And the posts of the door were shaken by the voice of him who cried out, and the house was filled with smoke.
5 So I said:


“ Woe is me, for I am undone!
Because I am a man of unclean lips,
And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips;
For my eyes have seen the King,
The LORD of hosts.”

(Isaiah 6:1-5, New King James Version)

Glory of the Lord

The book of Isaiah is filled with so many references to Christ; one of my favorite passages is this one from Isaiah 6. Look at the contrasts shown between the glory of the Lord and the true state of man as he stands before the Lord of hosts.

Isaiah 6 begins with the proclamation, In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord.

Look at the amazing description given in the next few verses.

I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lifted up, and the train of His robe filled the temple. Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one cried to another and said:

“ Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts;
The whole earth is full of His glory!”

And the posts of the door were shaken by the voice of him who cried out, and the house was filled with smoke.

Every time I read these verses I am filled with awe; this is our Lord and Savior being described! Does this sound like the Lord as we think of Him in our day? We must be so very careful that in our thoughts and descriptions of Christ, we do not minimize His character in any way. In this scene at the throne of Christ, the seraphim cried out, "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of His glory!"

And so it is true, is it not? The whole earth is full of the glory of the Lord. Can you see it? When you see a gorgeous sunset, or a rainbow, or listen to the birds singing their praises to God, or view the depths and heights of the mountains, or watch the sky filled with streaks of lightning, or observe the power of a hurricane, whose handiwork is being displayed?

As Isaiah observed the glory and the wonder of the Lord upon His throne, how did Isaiah react?

“ Woe is me, for I am undone!
Because I am a man of unclean lips,
And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips;
For my eyes have seen the King,
The LORD of hosts.”

This Christmas season, as we think of our Lord God humbling Himself to come to this earth as a mere baby, born of the virgin, Mary, into a poor family, rather than into the courts of a king, let us fall before Him as did Isaiah. May our hearts be filled with our poor and wretched state before God and cry out, "Woe is me, for I am undone! . . . For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."

As we gather with friends and family in this festive season, may we not be overwhelmed with the traditions of this world, but may we, rather, be filled with the glory of the Lord.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: