Monday, November 30, 2009

The Overcomer

25 “These things I have spoken to you in figurative language; but the time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but I will tell you plainly about the Father. 26 In that day you will ask in My name, and I do not say to you that I shall pray the Father for you; 27 for the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me, and have believed that I came forth from God. 28 I came forth from the Father and have come into the world. Again, I leave the world and go to the Father.”
29 His disciples said to Him, “See, now You are speaking plainly, and using no figure of speech! 30 Now we are sure that You know all things, and have no need that anyone should question You. By this we believe that You came forth from God.”
31 Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe? 32 Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. 33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
(John 16:25-33, New King James Version)

The Overcomer

There is a common teaching that when one becomes a Christian he will live the abundant life and will be happy all of the time. Have you found this to be true in your own Christian life? If you are like me, you were not be a Christian long when you discovered that it is not true! As a matter of fact, the tribulation that comes to us often causes discouragement among believers and doubts as to whether their salvation is genuine.

Just look at the words that Christ spoke to his disciples.

In the world you will have tribulation.

Did Christ tell his disciples that they would have an abundant, joy-filled life because they were believers? No! He told them that they will have tribulation! Why, then, would anyone want to become a Christian? There are two answers to that question. Just because we have tribulation, it does not mean that we will not have peace. Look at what Jesus said.

In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

Christ is the Overcomer, and we are overcomers with Him. Secondly, this world is not our home. Our home is in heaven with the Lord Jesus Christ where we will live forever! I will take forever, over the temporary time we are here on earth, won't you? I will also take the peace that comes with the tribulation. What person in this world does not go through some form of tribulation in this world? Imagine going through it with no comfort and no peace.

As you go about the duties of this day, look around you. This is the world that Christ has overcome! Are you with Christ as an overcomer? Do you have peace and joy no matter what happens in life. That does not mean that you will not be sad or miss those who have passed away, but you will have a great peace that passes all understanding!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: