Friday, November 13, 2009

Lie Down in Peace

3 But know that the LORD has set apart for Himself him who is godly;
The LORD will hear when I call to Him.
(Psalm 4:3, New King James Version)


7 You have put gladness in my heart,
More than in the season that their grain and wine increased.
8 I will both lie down in peace, and sleep;
For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.
(Psalm 4:7-8, New King James Version)

Lie Down in Peace

I know I have written a devotion on this passage when I was going through the Psalms, but the Bible is a living book. I am sure that if you read that devotion, you will find it quite different than this one. As a living book, each time we read through a Bible passage, God will impress different ideas upon our hearts that are concurrent with our present circumstances. What an amazing God we have!

I think it is very helpful to include verse 3 with verses 7 and 8, because verse 3 gives us background information. As Christians, we must never forget that God has set apart His people for Himself. That does not mean that we are better than non-Christians, but it does mean that we have a God-given purpose which should lead us in the way we should go.

There are two things to note regarding this. First of all, because we are set apart, God will hear when we call to Him. Learn to develop a conversation between God and you throughout the day; He does not stay at home when you go to the office! Second, the peace of God is like nothing else we can experience in this life. This peace grants us unsurpassed joy, as well as a complete trust in God regarding our safety. Remember, the child of God will not live one day longer or one day less that what God has ordained before time began.

I find this especially helpful. My husband has a heart condition that could take him away from me at any time. Yet, I live in peace knowing that his life has been ordained by God before time began. Death to the Christian is a time of new beginnings. The things of this world have passed away and we begin a new life with Christ, forever!

Think of it! This is our God! He alone can bring peace on earth and goodwill to men.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: