Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Your God, My God


14
Then they lifted up their voices and wept again; and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law, but Ruth clung to her.
15 And she said, “Look, your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and to her gods; return after your sister-in-law.”
16 But Ruth said:

“ Entreat me not to leave you,
Or to turn back from following after you;
For wherever you go, I will go;
And wherever you lodge, I will lodge;
Your people shall be my people,
And your God, my God.

17 Where you die, I will die,
And there will I be buried.
The LORD do so to me, and more also,
If anything but death parts you and me.”

18 When she saw that she was determined to go with her, she stopped speaking to her.
(Ruth 1:14-18, New King James Version)

Your God, My God

In our Bible passage today we get our first look into the character of Ruth. Naomi has urged both of her daughters-in-law to return to the land of their people and their gods. Ruth, however, is adamant that she remain with Naomi.

“ Entreat me not to leave you,
Or to turn back from following after you;
For wherever you go, I will go;
And wherever you lodge, I will lodge;
Your people shall be my people,
And your God, my God.

The key to her reasoning is found in the last two lines shown above. "Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God." We find that Ruth not only loved her mother-in-law, but she also came to know and love God. She finished her plea to Naomi with the following words.

"Where you die, I will die,
And there will I be buried.
The LORD do so to me, and more also,
If anything but death parts you and me.”

Naomi, understanding the reason for Ruth's love for her, and Ruth's determination to go with her, finally gave in.

We know what is coming next, but Ruth and Naomi did not. Just think of Ruth's situation. She was leaving her own family and returning, with her mother-in-law, to a land that was not hers.

Think of her dedication to the Lord. How dedicated are we to our Savior? To what lengths are we willing to go to serve Him? That is a question we should seriously consider; we get so sidetracked with our lives that we often forget why we are really here! Our purpose for being here, as Christians, is to serve the Lord our God in whatever circumstance we find ourselves.

Ruth had no idea that she would be part of the line of Christ. As a new believer she may not have even known the prophecies, in the book of Genesis, concerning His coming.

We do not know our own futures, but we do know the God who holds our futures in His hands. I challenge you to seek a closer relationship with the Lord; He is already there, ready to fellowship with you. How amazing is that?

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: