Tuesday, October 06, 2009

I Press On!


12
Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you. 16 Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us be of the same mind.
Philippians 3:12-16, New King James Version

I Press On!

Memories are always sad! If they are good memories, we are sad because they are over and we would love to experience them again. If they are sad memories, the reminder of them makes us sad all over! Memories can also bring great discouragement. The old adage, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again," is certainly harder than it sounds! Perhaps that is what Paul meant when he said, "Forgetting those things which are behind."

In heaven, I look forward to meeting the Apostle Paul. Bold, and not unwilling to chastise when necessary, he always had such a positive attitude about himself, no matter what his circumstances. That is certainly true in this passage from Philippians 3, when he says, "I press on!"

What good advice for the Christian today. Why do we press on? I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. The interesting thing about this prize is that there is more than one! Every Christian can attain or win this prize.

It is so easy to become bogged down with life, living in the day to day drudgery, and so loose our perspective for life's meaning. We may think that our part in God's plan is so insignificant that it does not matter whether we follow God's leading or not.

At times like this, and we all have them, Philippians 3 is a great Bible passage to turn to.

I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you.


Paul is so confident in God's working among his children that he tells us, if we are not pressing on toward the goal given to us by Christ, He prays that God would reveal it to them.

Pray, this day, that God would encourage your heart and fill you with such a love for Him that you, too, can say with Paul, "I press on!"

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: