Monday, October 05, 2009

I May Know Him


7
But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death.
Philippians 3:7-10, New King James Version

I May Know Him

But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ.

What does Paul mean in this verse from Philippians 3? What things did he have to lose in coming to Christ? Take a look at the "before Christ" Paul.

If anyone else thinks he may have confidence in the flesh, I more so: circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews; concerning the law, a Pharisee; concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. Philippians 3:4b-6

According to the Jews, he had it all! Yet, Paul tells us in verse 8, shown above:

Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ.

Where does your righteousness lie? Is it in the goodness you show to others, the power you have in your job or family, how about the money you have in the bank, the nice house in which you live, your boat--well, I think you get the idea. Most people in the United States would tell you that they are Christians. Many of them base their comments on the life they live and have lived compared to others around them.

Can we rest upon ourselves? Will it get us to heaven? At one time, Paul thought it was enough! Then, he met Christ and nothing was ever the same again! All of those things which had been so important to him, he now counted as rubbish, so that he may gain Christ!

Philippians 3:10 is one of my favorite verses in the Bible.

That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death.

That is a lifetime pursuit! As Christians, may that be our life's goal, for only in Christ do we find true love, joy, contentment, and peace. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: