Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Power of Christ


7
And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:7-10, New King James Version

Power of Christ

I rarely share personal things about my life, but this passage is very dear to me, because of my own circumstances. My hope is that my testimony will encourage you to walk faithfully with God no matter what your circumstances are.

Paul had a thorn in the flesh. We do not know what it was, but we know he pleaded with the Lord three times to have it removed. Christ never removed his "thorn," but said, instead,
“My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.”

By the grace of God, I, too, have a "thorn in the flesh." The prognosis is that it will not ever get better, and may very well get much worse. For over a year I wrestled with this, feeling very sorry for myself. Sometimes I was angry, and sometimes I was just depressed. However, now, several years later, I am amazed at the grace of God and what He has done in my life, through my own weakness.

I always considered myself a Christian who was close to the Lord, but now I know that I was greatly deceived. I was actually quite smug about my faith in Christ. God, however, has used my own personal thorn to humble me before Him. He has also helped me to realize that I loved this world more than I would ever admit. This world is not my home; it is just a temporary place, and will remain so until Christ takes me to my home above with him.

But, that is not all. I would never have done the things I have if I was not limited in what I could do physically. As God brought me closer to Him, He led me to write this daily Bible devotion, and also to build a devotional website. Truly, it is Christ's blog, and it is Christ's website. I cannot take any glory in it myself. By God's grace and through the power of Christ, He has allowed me to encourage Christians all over the world to live faithfully for Him.

What an amazing God we have; He uses the weak things of the world, (that is certainly me) to confound the wise.

Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: