Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My Servant



18
"Here is my servant whom I have chosen,
the one I love, in whom I delight;
I will put my Spirit on him,
and he will proclaim justice to the nations.
19He will not quarrel or cry out;
no one will hear his voice in the streets.
20A bruised reed he will not break,
and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out,
till he leads justice to victory.
21In his name the nations will put their hope."
Matthew 12:18-20, New International Version

My Servant

The above quotation from Isaiah 42 is a beautiful picture of our Savior, as well as a reminder of what should be the true character of a Christian. Though we can never emulate our Savior perfectly, our desire should be to grow more and more like Christ each day.

Who is this Christ? God preludes the details with this declaration.

Here is my servant whom I have chosen,
the one I love, in whom I delight;
I will put my Spirit on him.

The Lord Jesus Christ came to bring justice to the nations, not loudly with trumpets announcing his appearance, but with a quiet, humble spirit. That is not exactly the type of person we like to exonerate as our hero; neither was it the person the Jews were expecting in their Messiah. But when you think of it, oh what power He possessed. We should be mindful of this as Christians; our goal should not be to lift ourselves up before men, but rather to serve the Lord with a quiet and humble spirit.

Verse 20 is a beautiful depiction of Christ.

A bruised reed he will not break,
and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out,
till he leads justice to victory.

Oh the tenderness of Christ! Though we make be weak and bruised and a broken reed in the wind, and though our light may have dimmed to a smoldering wick, yet in His gentleness Christ will uphold the weak until that time when He leads justice to victory. Remember that when you have those days in which you just cannot seem to go on any more. Turn to Christ who will give you the strength to live that day for His glory.

Oh what a wonderful Savior, filled with a quiet and gentle Spirit, and yet one who renders all men powerless before Him.

This is the Christ whom God called, "My servant." This is the Christ we love and serve!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: