Saturday, August 01, 2009

My Servant Abraham



That night the LORD appeared to him [Isaac] and said, "I am the God of your father Abraham. Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bless you and will increase the number of your descendants for the sake of my servant Abraham."

Isaac built an altar there and called on the name of the LORD.
Genesis 26:24-25a, New International Version

My Servant Abraham

Only a few times in the Bible do you read of a person being called "My Servant," by God. Stop and think for a moment what that signifies. Though we may think of a servant as being of a lowly estate, to be considered a servant of God is to receive one of the highest honors possible for man. Remember, the Queen of Sheba told King Solomon that even his servants were blessed to serve such a wise and wealthy king. So are we blessed as sevants of God.

In the passage above, God said to Isaac, "I will bless you and will increase the number of your descendants for the sake of my servant Abraham."

How many people are blessed by God for your sake? What kind of a Christian servant are you? Abraham was extremely powerful and wealthy, and yet he never deemed himself to be above a servant before God. By the grace of God, that should be our attitude as well.

God may have blessed you with great wisdom and wealth, or not, but the thing that matters the most to God is your heart attitude. Christ came as the King of Kings, and yet took on the form of a servant, and so must we too come as a servant before our Almighty God.

Pray that God would bless you with the humble heart of a servant as you seek to live in a manner according to the Word of God. In Christ, there is no room for pride or arrogance. May God, then, bless you as he did Abraham in saying, "My Servant Abraham."

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: