Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Send Out Your Light

3 Send out your light and your truth;
let them lead me;
let them bring me to your holy hill
and to your dwelling!
4 Then I will go to the altar of God,
to God my exceeding joy,
and I will praise you with the lyre,
O God, my God.
Psalm 43:3-4, English Standard Version

Send Out Your Light

Years ago, one of my Bible professors said that one of the proofs that the Bible is true is that the men of God were presented with all of their weaknesses and sins revealed. They were not presented as perfect people. I was thinking of this as I read through this Psalm of David.

As the Psalm begins, David is discouraged, feeling like God has rejected him. How many times have we felt the same way? How many times do the circumstances of life seem to overpower us? How many times does it seem that even our very best friends have disdained us; we are despised on every side?

When that happens, what do we do? Do we seek to justify our name, do we speak evil against those who have wronged us, or do we immerse ourselves in a major pity party? Look at what David did; David turned his focus upon God. He understood that his only true help would come from God. First he appeals to God.

Send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling!

Then he turned to the altar of God and praised him.

Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding joy, and I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God.

In verses 5 and 6 of Psalm 43, David ended with the question we should all ask.

Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me?

Let us pray today that our answer to that question would be the same as was David's.

Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.

That is the essence of all of our hope, is it not? Let us all pray today, "Oh, God, send out your light."

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: