Monday, July 20, 2009

Rejoice in His Light


33 You sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth. 34 Not that the testimony that I receive is from man, but I say these things so that you may be saved. 35 He was a burning and shining lamp, and you were willing to rejoice for a while in his light. 36 But the testimony that I have is greater than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to accomplish, the very works that I am doing, bear witness about me that the Father has sent me. 37 And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen, and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe the one whom he has sent. 39 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.
John 5:33-40, English Standard Version

Rejoice in His Light

When we see the phrase, "rejoice in his light," we immediately think that the word, "his," refers to Jesus. However, in this passage Jesus is the one who is speaking; He is referring to John the Baptist. John was a burning and shining lamp, sent to testify of the One to come.

This passage is very sobering; Jesus is chastising the people for not receiving Him as the Messiah. Look at verse 37.

And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen, and you do not have his word abiding in you.

Think of the many people in our world who, like the unbelieving Jews, have never heard Jesus' voice, have never seen his form, and who do not have His Word abiding in them. Is this because they have never heard the Gospel? Is this because they have never heard the Word of God. No, like the Jews, they have hearts that are hardened against the Lord Jesus Christ. We are told in the Bible that God reveals Himself to all people in the world through His creation. If they truly desire Him, God will send those who will expound the Word of God to them.

Even more sobering, however, are those who search the Scriptures because they believe that their eternal life will come from the Bible. Yet, it is not the Bible that gives to them eternal life. The Bible points the way to our only true God and Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Think about this today. It is good that we rejoice in his light, that is the light of John the Baptist who bore testimony of Christ, but our really glory and joy is in Christ, our Lord.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: