Thursday, July 09, 2009

Light For the Nations

5 And now the LORD says,
he who formed me from the womb to be his servant,
to bring Jacob back to him;
and that Israel might be gathered to him--
for I am honored in the eyes of the LORD,
and my God has become my strength--

6 he says: "It is too light a thing that you should be my servant
to raise up the tribes of Jacob
and to bring back the preserved of Israel;
I will make you as a light for the nations,
that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth."
Isaiah 49:5-6, English Standard Version

Light For the Nations

We Christians have a charge to keep! Though the verses above refer to Isaiah the prophet, we have no less of a duty to our God and Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.

God has formed us from the womb to be his servant (verse 5). Though we are frail creatures, struggling daily with sin and temptations, we are honored in the eyes of the Lord. How can this be? Through the saving blood of Christ our Lord, we walk in the strength and righteousness of God!

Look at the two uses of the word, "light" in this passage.

"It is too light a thing that you should be my servant . . . I will make you as a light for the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth."

Do we take God for granted? We must consider, is it too light a thing that we are the servants of God? But, even more than that, God has given this charge to us as well as to Isaiah. While here on this earth God uses us so that his salvation may reach to the end of the earth!

No matter who we are, no matter where we live, and no matter what our social standing, as Christians, God is using us to spread his Gospel to the end of the earth. That supersedes any other purpose we have in this life.

Go this day and be that light for the nations!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: