Friday, July 31, 2009

Chief Servant



He [Abraham] said to the chief servant in his household, the one in charge of all that he had, "Put your hand under my thigh. I want you to swear by the LORD, the God of heaven and the God of earth, that you will not get a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I am living, but will go to my country and my own relatives and get a wife for my son Isaac."
Genesis 24:2-4, New International Version


Chief Servant

As we continue these devotions on the word, "servant," it is my hope that we will better understand our relationship as servants of the Lord Jesus Christ. I thought about that as I was reading from Genesis 24. Abraham asked his chief servant to go to the country of his relatives and choose a wife for Isaac. What a great responsibility was thrust upon this servant, and yet he did not hesitate to obey.

As we ponder this passage we need to ask the question, "How close am I to the Lord?. How willing am I today obey, without question, His commands?" I do not know about you, but I must admit that I would have been more likely to question the commandment of Abraham rather than to submit without question.

Yet, Abraham trusted that his chief servant would do exactly as he commanded, for his servant swore before God that he would be obedient. Not only was the servant obedient, but he was diligent in his mission. He prayed that God would lead him to the woman of God's own choosing. As we read further in Genesis 24, we find that God answered the chief servant's prayer by leading him to Rebekah.

How did this mission of the chief servant end? In Genesis 24:67 we are told, Isaac brought her [Rebekah] into the tent of his mother Sarah, and he married Rebekah. So she became his wife, and he loved her; and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death.

We Christians are servants of the Lord Jesus Christ. Our chief duty here on earth is to walk in obedience to Christ and diligently perform the mission He has for each of us. How do we compare to the chief servant, who left everything and immediately obeyed Abraham's command?

Let us pray that we would diligently seek to be obedient to the Lord Jesus Christ in His command that we be salt to the earth, proclaiming His truth by our words and actions to all those with whom we interact this day.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: