Sunday, June 21, 2009

Perfect Child

8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
1 Corinthians 13:8-12, English Standard Version

Perfect Child

Nestled away in this beautiful chapter about love, are some of the most precious verses for the Christian. Some days the inner struggle against sin in our own hearts makes us long for the days when we will become that perfect child. Until then we are trapped in bodies of sin, living more like children than adults.

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.

Have you ever pondered how little we really know? We look around us and marvel at our knowledge. Look at the amazing things that man has accomplished, especially in the last hundred years! We have gone from the horse and buggy days to exploring space. Look at the changes in medical knowledge in that same period of time. Today we transplant livers, kidneys, and hearts!

Before we get too puffed up with pride, let us take a step back, and look at what God knows. He spoke and this world came into being; he cast the sun, moon and stars in their courses. He created this world with a perfect balance in nature, until sin marred God's beautiful creation. Yet, God still guides and protects this world.

When we realize just what a tiny bit of knowledge we really possess, we understand that we are still helpless children.

We must go to Christ this day, and pray for knowledge and wisdom to live as mature saints of God. Though we are trapped in childlike bodies, we know that the time is near when God will wrap us in His loving arms and make us his perfect child who will live with Him forever!

Now I know in part; then I shall know fully.

Amen, so let it be!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: