Saturday, June 20, 2009

Only Child

37 On the next day, when they had come down from the mountain, a great crowd met him. 38 And behold, a man from the crowd cried out, "Teacher, I beg you to look at my son, for he is my only child. 39 And behold, a spirit seizes him, and he suddenly cries out. It convulses him so that he foams at the mouth, and shatters him, and will hardly leave him. 40 And I begged your disciples to cast it out, but they could not." 41 Jesus answered, "O faithless and twisted generation, how long am I to be with you and bear with you? Bring your son here." 42 While he was coming, the demon threw him to the ground and convulsed him. But Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit and healed the boy, and gave him back to his father. 43 And all were astonished at the majesty of God.
Luke 9:37-43, English Standard Version

Only Child

What a Savior we have! As I was reading through the verses shown above, I realized that, figuratively, we are all like that only child. Where were we before Christ saved us? Look around you. What do you see?

You see a busy life--people rushing here and there living their lives as though this is all there is.

Unless we are children of God, we have no real concept of the reality in which we live. Just like this only child, we are continually being seized by Satan's angels. Oh, we may not be foaming at the mouth, but, apart from Christ, our thoughts and actions are focused on ourselves and the world around us, with no concept of the bigger picture: the angels of Satan at war with the angels of God.

Is there no hope for us? Oh yes, there is hope to be found in Christ, alone. This story is a vivid picture of our salvation provided for us by Christ. Just as Jesus rebuked this spirit, so He cleans our hearts of the evil spirits lurking within and fills us with the Holy Spirit.

Does this mean we have arrived; we no longer have to fight the forces of Satan? Though the spirits of Satan can never indwell us again, they do continually fight and war against our soul. If they cannot own us, they will do everything within their power to discourage us and to make our testimony for Christ powerless.

Paul expressed this inner battle in this way in Romans 7.

22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.

24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

We must open our eyes and focus on Christ. Just as He delivered this only child from the evil spirit within, so He delivers us from the evil forces waging war all around us.

Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: