Thursday, June 11, 2009

Like a Child!

15 Now they were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them. And when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. 16 But Jesus called them to him, saying, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. 17 Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."
Luke 18:15-17, English Standard Version

Like a Child!

As we continue our series, "What is in a Word," I thought we would look at the word "child." Luke 18 shows us the importance of children when it says, "Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."

Is it so hard for us to remember what it was like being a child? My grandmother used to tell me that the older she got, the more she remembered details about her childhood. As I grow older, I do not know if I remember more, but I have noticed that I think about it a lot more.

I was surprised one day when I realized that though I am into the beginning of my senior years, I am still the very same person I was as a child. I have some of the same insecurities, likes, and dislikes even though I am decades older. Granted, along with the years comes the maturity and understanding so that those same insecurities do not overwhelm me as they did then.

Today, I would like you to think back to your childhood. Why is Jesus telling the disciples that they must come to Him like a child? I certainly do not have all the answers, but here are a few things that I thought about.

When the children came to Christ, they did not care how good looking, rich, or famous He was. They were attracted to His openness and friendliness to them. They knew that, in spite of their age, they were immediately accepted by Him.

They also felt secure in His presence. Do you think they worried about food or clothing when He was with them? No, they were more interested in what He was telling them. Perhaps He told them stories, but whatever He said, it was in words they could easily comprehend.

When Jesus spoke to the children, they did not doubt His words. They simply believed that what He said was true. They did not dispute among themselves how these things could be so, and they certainly did not segment themselves into groups according to their understanding of His teachings.

Well, those are just a few ideas. I know you can come up with many more.

Let us go to Christ this day like a child, and may our lives honor and glorify His Holy name.

Amen, so let it be!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: