Friday, June 26, 2009

Light up My Eyes

1 How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?

3 Consider and answer me, O LORD my God;
Light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death.

5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
My heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the LORD,
Because he has dealt bountifully with me.
Psalm 13: 1, 3 & 5-6, English Standard Version

Light up My Eyes

Is it just me, or do others feel that they are too often stuck in verse 1 of this Psalm? It seems as though as soon as I seem to reach a pinnacle in my Christian life, feeling closer to God than ever, He suddenly seems to have forgotten me. I find myself saying, with the psalmist, How long will you hide your face from me? Light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death.

Thankfully, the Christian life is not one of just feelings. When God seems to be far away, we should do just what the psalmist did in verses 5 & 6. This is the time to read the Bible and meditate on all of the things God has done for his people, and for us particularly. Remember, God never moves, but we do!

As we meditate upon the Lord, we should think of his steadfast love for us, and we should rejoice in the salvation granted to us by the Lord Jesus Christ. Did we deserve that salvation? Can we keep ourselves saved by our own actions and efforts? No. We can neither save ourselves nor keep ourselves saved. Our salvation is all of Christ, from the beginning to the end.

Just as our salvation is all of Christ, so is our walk with him. Does that mean that we do not have to put forth any effort? Of course not, we must continually seek to live faithfully for the Lord in obedience to his commandments. However, we must understand that even that is impossible without the help of the Lord. Christ is our All!

So, I encourage you today. If it seems as though God has forgotten you, plead with Christ, as did the psalmist, Light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death. Then meditate upon his steadfast love to you, and rejoice in the salvation he has given to you.

I will sing to the LORD, because he has dealt bountifully with me.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: