Sunday, June 14, 2009

But a Child

5 At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night, and God said, "Ask what I shall give you." 6 And Solomon said, "You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant David my father, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart toward you. And you have kept for him this great and steadfast love and have given him a son to sit on his throne this day. 7 And now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of David my father, although I am but a little child. I do not know how to go out or come in. 8 And your servant is in the midst of your people whom you have chosen, a great people, too many to be numbered or counted for multitude. 9 Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?"
1 Kings 3:5-9, English Standard Version

But a Child

And now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of David my father, although I am but a little child.

Have you ever sat down after watching the news and said, "What is wrong with this world?" Of course we know that the world is filled with sin, but I think our Bible passage today gives us some added insight as to the source of our troubles.

Let me ask this, "What kind of leaders do we elect?" Now I do not want to get into a political debate here--I am talking across the board, no matter what party or group they represent. What kind of leaders do we elect?

We know that Solomon was the greatest (and richest king) who ever lived. His gardens are considered one of the seven wonders of the world. What was this man like? Was he pompous and proud of his greatness? Did he think he deserved to be the king to follow after David, his father, who was a great king in his own right?

No! When approached by God and offered anything he desired, how did he respond? I am but a child. Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?"

Should we, the people of God, even dare to live our lives, govern the areas of responsibility we have been given, or serve those we are responsible to serve without making the same plea to God?
Solomon's successful rule was given to him by God, as long as he faithfully served God knowing that he was but a child.

Dear Christian, that is us today? We are but a child facing the life God has given to us to live. I watched a video my son had made of my almost 3 year old grandchild playing with a train set. She did not speak except to mimic her father's words. In the end, he said, "Say goodbye, everyone," and she responded, "Goodbye, everyone."

Let us pray that we would only speak words that mimic only those God would say. Do you think that would make a difference in our world today? It is something to think about, is it not?

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: