Monday, June 08, 2009

Bread of Life

35 Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. 36 But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."
John 6:35-40, English Standard Version

Bread of Life

What is life? We tend to think of our life on this earth as life. While that is true, we must realize that our existence on this earth is but a vapor compared to the eternity to come where we will either be cast into hell forever, or brought in the kingdom of God to live forever. Considering this, what should be the most important "life" for us to consider?

We know that the forces of Satan and the angels of God are in a constant warfare all around us, and that we are affected by that warfare. Yet, as Christians, we tend to live as the world does, totally ignoring this battle. But, consider, why are we here? Are we here to have a good life, make a name for ourselves, become prosperous, etc.? There is nothing wrong with these things, however, our focus always needs to be on Christ.

Do we spend all of our time laboring for that which will pass away, or do we feast upon Christ, the bread of life, who will never let us hunger or thirst again? Jesus said, I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. There, dear Christian, is the reason you are here! You are here, not to do your own will, but to do the will of God!

So, this day, look to Christ, the bread of life. May your focus this day and every day to come be upon Christ, and your service to Him!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: