Sunday, May 03, 2009

Peace Like a River

12 For this is what the LORD says:
"I will extend peace to her like a river,
and the wealth of nations like a flooding stream;
you will nurse and be carried on her arm
and dandled on her knees.

22 "As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me," declares the LORD, "so will your name and descendants endure. 23 From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me," says the LORD.
Isaiah 66:12 and 22-23, English Standard Version

Peace Like a River

In Isaiah 66, we again see that beautiful, poetic imagery so common in the Psalms and other Old Testament books.

For this is what the LORD says:
"I will extend peace to her like a river."



It is spring in Iowa, and with spring comes a lot of turbulent weather. After a week of storms and fierce winds, I was surprised, yesterday, to see the calm waters of the river I cross over every day to take my daughter to and from school. Instead of foaming white caps, the placid water mirrored the new leaves bursting forth from the trees.
Though it was cool outside, I would have loved to sit by the river so I could lose myself in the placid water and gentle lapping waves.

I often think of how amazing it is to view nature, especially after a major catastrophe. The birds, the insects, the trees, and the rivers are totally oblivious to our troubles of life. Life just goes on as though nothing had happened.

What a reminder of the peace that is always available for the Christian, no matter what the circumstances of life may be. Peace, like a river!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: