Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Bread of Anxious Toil

1 Unless the LORD builds the house,
those that build it labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city,
The watchman lies awake in vain.
2 It is in vain that you rise up early
And go late to rest,
Eating the bread of anxious toil,
For He gives to his beloved sleep.
Psalm 127:1-2, English Standard Version

Bread of Anxious Toil

Why is this such a difficult concept for us to internalize? How often do we lie awake at night, consumed with the things that concern us most. We worry continually! Whatever the latest concern, it is enough to keep us awake at night. Tonight it may be money, last night it was job security, the night before it was problems with the teenagers.

Yet, does not the Bible teach that we should be just the opposite. While others worry about such things, the Lord gives to his beloved sleep. I am his beloved, so why am I kept awake night after night, churning over the latest events and concerns?

I know this just sounds too simple, but the answer is to go to the Lord. Cry out to Him to grant you his peace as you face the difficulties of the present time and of the future. I must be the slowest person in the world to catch on to this concept; it seems like I have to learn it over and over.

This year has been a very stressful one for our family. Graduation month (May) was no exception. We had two daughters graduating the same day and time in two different cities--one from high school, and the other from college. My husband went to the high school graduation and I went to the college graduation. My high school graduate was convinced that I did not love her because I was not going to her graduation. Then, on top of this, I am also trying to get a new business going (see my website for information).

Driving home from the college graduation, I realized how foolish I had been. I was trying to solve everything by myself. The Lord and I had quite a conversation on the rest of the drive home. I asked Him to grant me peace and also submission to His will for my life.

I do not mean to sound melodramatic, but I felt the stress drain from my body. Yesterday my high school graduate and I discussed the situation. "Awe, Mom," she said, "You know that I really did not mean what I said. I was just angry." So much for all my worry!

Are you consumed with the bread of anxious toil? Go to Christ. Think of these words from Isaiah 26:3 (King James Version).

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: