Monday, April 13, 2009

Doubting Thomas

24 Now Thomas, one of the Twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe."

26 Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." 27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe." 28 Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" 29 Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
John 20:24-29, English Standard Version

Doubting Thomas

We are often quite hard on Thomas because he did not believe that the disciples had actually seen Jesus.

"Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe."

How like our Lord, then, when he again appeared to the disciples eight days later to go directly to Thomas and say, "Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe."

Now, look at Thomas' response. "My Lord and my God!"

How often do we slink back into doubt when things are not going so well in our lives? How often do we seem to live as unbelievers who have no hope? I know that it is not reasonable to paste a permanent smile on our faces. As my husband often says, "We are not stones!" We should respond appropriately to circumstances around us, but in the end, when all is said and done, what is our conclusion of the matter?

This is a question I ask myself; it is so easy to have a "pity party" and make everyone around me miserable. May God forgive me for such an attitude; the resurrected Lord is my only Hope and Guide. God sends what He does for a reason.

So, as we ponder these things today, let us remember the joy of our resurrected Lord, and may we, like doubting Thomas, fall on our faces before Christ and say, "My Lord and my God."

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: