Saturday, March 14, 2009

Singing with Grace

15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Colossians 3:15-16, KJV

What rules you? Sometimes I think my teenagers rule me; they seem to think that their schedule is my schedule. Other times, I must admit, I am ruled by worry, and most often, I seem to be ruled by my own schedule. How does that happen?

So, I was struck by the beginning of this Bible benediction. Let the peace of God rule in your hearts. I can understand how that would help me with my worries, but what about others who control my schedule--or even my own schedule controlling me? Do these things happen apart from God? Do you think the real problem might be selfishness on my part? (Hey, I am not afraid of admitting it!) My own schedule is mostly dictated by my work schedule (I teach piano lessons.) Of course we need the income, and I enjoy teaching, so that should not really be a burden, should it?

So, let's go on with our Bible passage. Let the peace of God rule in your hearts . . . and be ye thankful. Notice, it is not a suggestion; it is a command. Be ye thankful.

Our benediction does not end there either. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

When the peace of God rules our hearts and the Word of God dwells within us, what more do we need? Now, that is truly enough to make my heart sing! I encourage you this day, to pray for grace to let the peace of God rule in your heart and the Word of God dwell within you, so that you, too, will find yourself singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

God Bless You,
Linda

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Our pastor taught about Living in the Kingdom by making God first in the following areas of our life: Finances, Interests (hobbies or work), Relationships, Schedule and Troubles. If we find our self worried about something chances are we forgot to put God first in that area. Thanks for your openness to share and for getting God's Word out there.