Friday, March 06, 2009

Forever!

1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
Psalm 23, King James Version


I am taking a short break from my series of Bible Benedictions to write this devotional in honor of my mother, who went home to be with the Lord on February 28th.

I am so thankful for parents who made sure that we were in church each Sunday. As a child, I learned Psalm 23 as well as many other passages of Scripture which have under girded my life ever since.

My parents represented an incredible generation that went through the depression and World War II. My mother knew what it was like to not have any food to eat. She knew what it was like to follow news of the war, knowing every day that she might never see her husband again, and that he might never know his son.

When the troops came home, a new adjustment was necessary. There were no jobs! Yet, my parents lived through adversity after adversity seeing God faithfully providing for them through the post-war years. It was not an easy time, and everything was not always rosy at home.

Yet, God faithfully brought both parents safely through life--they both reached their mid-eighties before God took them home. Losing Dad two years ago devastated my mother. After being together for 65 years, she was left alone, struggling for a purpose in her own life.

These last few months, as her health began to fail, she moved in with my sister and brother-in-law.
Every day she read the Bible--until she was no longer able to read. Then, she enjoyed having the Bible read to her. Now she is home with her Lord and Savior and my Dad and sister. What a joyous reunion! So, though I am saddened by my loss, I rejoice at her gain.

Psalm 23 was her favorite Psalm. As you read it, I pray that you will take comfort in its absolute truth. Yea, though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death, we will fear no evil, for God is with us. . . . And we will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: